Plumbing problems can be very complicated sometimes, and main drain clogging problems can give a big headache to homeowners. However, if it is just a drain cleaning issue, then it can be fixed easily and quickly, but for other sewer line clogging issues, you need to take help from professional plumber services, which could be very expensive in some cases.
The professional plumbing services also know exactly that homeowners do not like to pay huge bills for plumbing issues and an alternative service call. That is why it is advisable to learn some of the basic techniques to unclog your sewer lines to avoid calling professional services. Here is how you can learn to unclog a blocked drain.
Many homeowners face this basic clogging drain pipe issue a lot. The basic clog is the common cogging that happens in the drainpipe at the plumbing fixtures, including the toilet, kitchen sink, or shower drain. To unclog these drains you can get a chemical drain cleaner available at any store, pour it in the drain, and let it stay for some time in the pipe before pouring water. You can also use a plunger to solve these basic clogging issues on your own.
Also, you can prepare a natural sewer line cleaner on your own to melt build-up and grease. If this method does not work, then you need to get help from the plumbing service for better results.
If you are having a stubborn clogging issue that has build-up over a period and is hard to reach, then you need a powerful tool to unclog your drain lines. Also, it is advisable to get a professional plumber to unclog rigid clogging as they use tools like an auger or drain snake that has the power and reach to unclog hardened grease or particle build-up. Drain snaking is one of the most common and best methods used by plumbers. However, if drain snaking also couldn’t solve the problems, then it leads to main drain clogging.
Sewer Line Cleaning:
The main drain line or sewer pipes begin from the outside of your home and are connected to the septic tank system or the municipal drainage system. Clogging of the main drain line is considered to be the most serious plumbing issue for various reasons.
To find the clogging type, you need to find where the problem occurred so that you can take care of it properly. If your sewer lines are blocked by tree roots, then it needs to be dealt with contrarily than declining sewer lines that require replacement.
If it is a wrecked main sewer line, then you can call for an experienced technician who can solve the problem using a hydro-jet cleaner. This heavy-duty hydro-jet machine sends water forcefully through the sewer so that the water can through debris, roots, and clears the drain pipes thoroughly.
Why Should You Clear Main Sewer Issues?
A sewage backup is one of the biggest issues that need to be addressed immediately. Sewer clear out will help you prevent property damage and avoid back-flowing sewage inside your home, and also it helps you prevent other issues with the city, and if you live in a rural area, it helps you converse septic system.
Before using the cleaning product, check the manufacturer’s instructions menu and follow that instruction to clean your sewer lines. Make sure to put the enzyme cleaner in large drains like basement drain, or any other large drain line connected to your home sewer main. Most of these enzyme cleaners work through a biological reaction, which means it takes some time to clear the clog in the sewer line.
- Smelly discolored water
- Backed up showers and sinks
- Toilet drainage in the shower drain or shower tub
The basic method to clear a main sewer line blockage:
Now, you will learn about the procedure of how to unclog the main sewer line. Some homeowners try to handle this situation and they try to unclog the main drain, or they just want to know what the reasons for the blockage are when a professional plumber is appointed.
You need to get the tools list before you get started. Also, you should know how to use a professional pipe auger to clear the blockage in the main drain line. Unclogging the main sewer line, you need a long drain snaking and powerful suction to reach the blockage area. The best thing is, you can as well rent a professionally graded plumbing snake similar to the one that you get at any hardware store.
Other apparatus that you need to clear the blockage in the main drain line includes:
- Garden hose
- Waterproof work gloves
- Pipe wrench
- Pipe auger or plumbing snake, which is also available on rent at most hardware stores
- Waterproof boot or shoes
Steps for Uncloging a Main Sewer Line
- The first step is to locate your main sewer clear-out location. Now, find the small pipe on the ground. If the pipe is found closer to a flower bed, then use the wrench to release the cap. Slowly open the lid and allow it to sit for a couple of seconds before you take away the lid entirely. This slow process helps you prevent any sudden spill of water or sewage.
- After removing the lid and check if the clog might have caused a waste build-up. Remove the lid slowly and remove the excess water from the drain before trying snaking or doing anything else. To protect yourself from dirty spills, wear waterproof gloves and boots.
- Once the entire drain pipe finished draining, now, start putting the drain snake into the opening. Before that, ensure to read all the instructions clearly, every drain snake will have a little different instruction. Generally, many plumbers use Augers, for better results, but if you do not have one at home, then you can get one for rent as well.
- Insert the auger slowly inside the drain line till where the clog is. You can easily identify the clog when the snake hits as it becomes hard to go further.
- Once you locate the clog, run the snake until you don’t feel the struggle in running the auger, now, the water or grease build-up in the drainpipe is cleared. This means that unclogging the main sewer line is completed. You can still run the auger to clear any left-over debris or build-ups after the sewer clog has broken up.
If you noticed backing up sewage in the shower tub or kitchen sink, then it is a sign of clogging of the main sewer line. Follow these above-mentioned steps to unclog the main sewer line or get help from a professional plumber.